Sunday 3 June 2012

And Now for something completely different...

I usually post on here about things to do with pop culture, but today it's personal.   In the last few weeks, I've been trying to change some of my habits to be healthier.   It's a process.  I've slowly weaned my self off snacky junk food (I'm lookin' at you potato chips!) and have started exercising.   Before this, I really wasn't exercising, which is terrible for me, I know, but I used being busy as an excuse.   Near the end of April, I took stock of my life, which sounds weird, but I basically tried to look at everything I was doing and deciding what was good for me and what wasn't.  I made a mental list and my journey began. 

Through the month of May I made sure that I was walking at least a few times a week so I was getting off the couch, and I started to eat more fruits, vegetables and proteins.  Smoothies made with ridiculous amounts of fresh/frozen fruit are my new favourite thing.  It's so easy to throw everything in a blender and hit a button, plus any meal that takes less than 5 minutes to make is a-ok with me.   

George Takei (yes, from Star Trek and he's hilarious) posted this online today:

It's quite serendipitous that he posted this photo, the same week I started running.  Thanks Sulu.

Running is hard.  I've said I'm out of shape, but you never realize quite how out of shape you are until your first run.   On Tuesday, my lungs were burning, my legs were jelly, I couldn't breathe and I was grinning like an idiot.   Though running hurts and my calf muscles were sore the whole next day, it's incredibly cathartic.    The hard work hurts, but if you stick to it you will get results.  I know this, because I was an active kid, and also a skinny, healthy kid.  Long story short, I joined the professional ranks and with school on top of that - health and fitness fell by the wayside.    I've been out of school for about 2 years now and working only 1 job right now (trust me, this is weird for me).  So it's time to shape up and stop making excuses.

You can follow my progress in a series of one-liners on twitter.


Yesterday I went for run #2.  It was almost twice the length and time of run #1 (I have a nike app on my iPod that tells me these things).  This is a great improvement in my books, not only did I work harder, but I didn't feel as pained after.  Also, stretching is important.

My main goal in all of this is two tiered.  I want to be healthier,  I will feel better and look better as a result I know it.  This is not something that is about "weight loss" for me.  I don't even own a scale (they can be quite depressing).   As a part of the "health" goal, I also want to fit in to what are known as "normal" sized clothes.  Currently I'm "plus sized" and nothing really fits me the way I want it to.  This is a problem when you're a shopaholic who loves clothes and shoes (I still have no problems buying shoes, my bank account hates shoes). 

This blog post is my online promise to myself and the world to my goal.  I want to look and feel healthier, and get back below a size 16.




8 comments:

  1. Hey Girl! GO YOU. Reading this post of yours just made me think of the point I was at 2 years ago. I was much in the same place, eating terribly, not exercising, and all the while using "But I'm really busy!" as an excuse.

    And you said it, if you stick with it, you WILL get results. You know me, I was never a runner. But today, I put almost 7 KM on my run (I too use that Nike App on my nano, it's a godsend!) and that was in a half hour. I just think back to the days in high school when we used to do the sungod run... 800 m, and it would take me about 7 minutes to do, and I would huff an puff, and be practically dying by the end of it. That wasn't good for me, not now, not ever. Getting healthy isn't even about being skinny or being a size zero. It's about lifelong health. Though, You know, I know you know this and I'm pretty much just preaching to the choir at this point.

    I know you can do this! I am rooting for you! If you ever want any tips or tricks, or even a swift kick (metaphorically and over the internet, of course) to get you motivated, I'm here for you! I know there were so many times during my last year of school where you motivated me to get my butt in the gym and on the treadmill, and THANK YOU! I really needed it sometimes, and you were there being a great friend.

    And hey, what else are friends for? :)

    Keep up the great work! Hang in there! Can't wait to see your progress when you come to visit next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giuliana! I think you've effectively supported me on all forms of long distance communication now! Love it! The internet - allowing stalking over several mediums since the 90s

      Delete
  2. Hey Alyjo! Saw Guiliana's post on facebook and decided to head over here to cheer you on, too :o) Keep taking those small steps, before you know it you'll be further than you realize!
    Might I suggest some really inspiring fitness tumblrs? They help me.
    What did you do to cut back on snacking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, have to say that we really loved GCB too. I can't believe they cancelled it!!!

      Delete
    2. Hey Natalia! I'd love to know some good tumblr pages to follow (I just recently joined tumblr!). As for snacking, I started eating less of the bad stuff and substituting it for carrots and other fruit, veggies, granola bars, etc. First I did half and half, and now I don't even bother with the junk food, just the odd mini bag of popcorn! Also, I've found that if you have something protein rich in the morning, you're less hungry during the day (something I picked up from my mom). It works!

      Also, I'm so mad GCB got cancelled, I LOVED it!

      Delete
  3. Good job Alysha! I just started running again recently, though my break from it was much shorter than yours (I only stopped for about half a year XD). My legs hurt a lot too, so I imagine yours hurt significantly more :(

    Keep at it! Rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aly-jo! just read your post and lots of love and positive energy to you for your new challenge! Just recently decided to do the same, legitimately :p, and definitely the start and the actual understanding its worth your time is the most difficult but the most important part, for me anyways, I've felt. One small step at a time!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey JJ! Thanks for the comment! Glad to hear you're doing something similar! I totally get what you mean about believing it's worth it. I understand, I've been lazy too long. lol

    ReplyDelete