Tuesday 12 June 2012

Not Fergalicious - Still Workin' On My Fitness

Today marks the start of Week #3 of my fitness plan.

When writing this, I got sweat all down the pen and on the paper. (Update: I have since showered and now smell very fruity).  I had to write my thoughts down first so the shower wouldn't wash away my tired, achy, sarcastic thoughts.

I've managed to run 3 days a week over the last two weeks.  It may not seem like much to the fitness fanatic, but to me, it was a LOT of sweat, sweat, and tears.  (I would have put blood there, but I've yet to fall and scrape up my knees, knock on wood.  The tears part does belong though, trust me).
I may classify myself as a "runner" one day.  One day when I stop making pained facial expressions while moving at a snail's pace. Maybe...




One of the things I now profusely thank God (Read: Steve Jobs) for, is the iPod.  Music. Helps. A LOT.





One of the ways I motivate myself, is to talk to myself in my head while I run.  I literally try to think of jokes and anecdotes to entertain myself.  I know, I sound crazy, but I swear to God (not Steve Jobs this time, but like the saying) that it DOES work.   I mentioned music before because it ties in to this.

For Example:
"Untouched" by The Veronicas is freakin' great to run to.  Why? Because I know that anyone who has seen me while I'm running will never want to touch me.  (see what I did there?)


Does that seem harsh and judgmental? YES.  But It also makes me laugh at myself, which to my feet, is like picking up a golden mushroom in Mario Kart. 
 

That song also has a sick beat. Consider me PUMPED UP.



I pray that one day,
I can look as good as this guy when running 

The other reason I am a huge fan of Steve "God" Jobs (may he rest in peace) and Michael Jordan, is the Nike + fitness app.  It allows me to make fun of myself and my surroundings without worrying about my time or distance.  It's cool because I can go back on my iPod and see how I've been doing and set goals for myself.   Today, I ran about 10 minutes longer than each of my previous sessions and the strangely human-sounding robot voices in my iPod gave me those results, and even told me "Great Job!"  I will add to this that female voice in this app is too perky to be talking to me post-run.  Coming from me, a self professed perky white girl, that's saying quite a bit.

One thing that's jumped out at me thanks to that last ramble, is that though some tech is keeping people sedentary (whine internet, whine!), this particular app is helping me GET ACTIVE.  Very sneaky and genius Apple.

While I'm on the fitness topic (again, I know):  I'd like to thank everyone who has sent me support and well wishes in comments, facebook posts, tweets and all over the freakin' internet since I started my fitness plan.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  (This part is not sarcastic, I swear)


One last thought:  Is it bad if both your feet are numb and you continue running?   Not that I did that for the last 5-7 minutes of my run today or anything...

3 comments:

  1. I liked Nike+ until one too many dud chips. I just recently bought a GPS watch and I'm loving it :)

    Congrats on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment tyler! I'm hoping Nike+ doesn't have any issues. We'll see.. I'm also considering joining "Fitness Boxing" it seems wicked fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important part is getting used to a pattern. Just being able to do this consistently is a huge thing. Congrats, Alysha!

    I've had the same experience as you with technology here. I downloaded an exercise tracking app on my phone and for some reason it just instantly clicked with me and it helped me get into running. It's really fun to see progress over time (and shiny numbers!), and with an app on my phone it kind of nags at me when I neglect it.

    As for your feet getting numb, they probably just aren't used to it yet. Your shoes might play a role as well. There's all sorts of crazy rocket science involved with running shoes. The gist of it is that different shoes really are differently suited for peoples' feet and styles, and the perfect fit can be a very nice experience. I wouldn't worry about that yet, but it's something to think about if it keeps up :)

    ReplyDelete