Wednesday 26 February 2014

Pompeii - Movie Review

I'm just going to leave this here.
Let's just say, this is what I want for Christmas and to keep forever and always.  

Aside from that... this is the most fun I've had waiting for people to die in a movie.  I know that sounds weird, but it's not like people don't know the general story of Pompeii (and if you don't... REALLY?!).

This is a love story, but the thing I liked about it was that it wasn't the main focus of the movie, it was more subtle and you knew it was there, even if it was cheesy.  More than anything, it was an action movie through and through.  A serious revenge fantasy, sword fights, "lunchroom" brawls, armies and lots of fire - all the ingredients you need for some campy action-packed fun!

Jon Snow... err... Milo's character is a young child at the start who sees his family slaughtered.  It's a gut-wrenching and brutally well done scene.   The thought of revenge fuels a lot of what happens throughout the movie and really makes certain deaths REALLY satisfying.   Like this guy's:
And This guy's:

Another side plot that blooms is the friendship between Milo, The Celt, and Atticus, the proven gladiator.  They led very parallel lives before ending up slaves to be killed in a bloody arena battle.  Luckily, since they're both such skilled fighters, that's not how it went down.  Atticus' end - though sad, what sweet in what it represented and how he still got to fight for his freedom.

totez adorbs BFFLs - literally for life.

For once, I didn't feel like the 3D was over-powering in the action setting.  With Lava flying and things on fire everywhere, I couldn't imagine it done any differently.  There was a whole lot of fighting, a whole lot of running, and a whole lot of horse whispering(Milo's people do this, apparently).  There was also a whole lot of this too:
His pout game was on point.
The ending was super duper cheesy, in my opinion.  You've been warned.  Honestly, it's exactly how I thought it would end. It would have been way less believable if the heroes magically got away.  But seriously, come on...
Never let go, Jack.... wait a sec.....
Overall, it's a movie I would recommend.  It really is the most fun I've ever had waiting for the world to end.  The action was good, the acting was good, and I even enjoyed the story.

My big disappointment was when the credits rolled and this didn't immediately start playing:

I listened to it while walking home from the theatre, so it's fine.  But HOW CAN THEY NOT BE CONNECTED? /rant.

More Jon Snow in my life, please.

1 comment: