Thursday 4 October 2012

Planning to be Spooktacular.

I'll admit it,  this time of year, I use ridiculous words like "spooktacular" as much as possible, because I can.


With the coming Holidays (Thanksgiving is this weekend, I get pumpkin pie, 'nuff said),  October is up there with the coolest months of the year.   It's a time when kids get candy, and get all dressed up like their favourite animal/character/ghoul.  It's also a time for adults to get dressed up crazy ridiculous and party... Something I am a-okay with.

I particularly like the Manitoba way of doing things.  Halloween Socials.

Growing up on the west coast,  I had no idea what a social was until I moved to Manitoba.  Now I love them.  You get to help out a cause while getting cheap drinks and dressing up to a theme!  Which is to say, it's all-around freakin' awesome.  

The flip side to this awesome coin, is finding a costume.  Sometimes it's a challenge.  Not to get too complainy, but once you've decided what you want to dress up as, you have to piece it together.  This is especially difficult for adults. 

Long gone are the days of my mom hand making me costumes that are custom-fitted, adorable and completely original.  If I had the time to sew (and could do it well enough)  I would make my own costumes.  Instead, I do the new age thing.  I scour stores like a crazed couponer and pick my way through the internet, site by site.  Plus I take stock of my closet and try to piece it all together like a fashionable puzzle.   This is time consuming, but it works. 

Last year I worked it out to 3 costumes for different occasions, and will do the same this year.

Zombie Katy Perry, Wayne, somewhat-alive Katy Perry
 It was a pretty solid year.  Those outfits were for a zombie walk, hosting karaoke, and hosting a family Halloween event.  Thanks to my jobs, I do awesome things like this all the time. 

This year CJ1240 is hosting a zombie walk where I'm currently working on a Zombie Punk Rocker look.  There's also a top secret group costume in the works for a Saturday Night social, and I will be hosting a karaoke night/halloween bash at the bar where I will be Minnie Mouse!  

The Minnie Mouse one I've got all worked out with pieces I found online, all of which I can use again, some in every day life:



super cute dress - check

accessories - check

shoes - check

So imagine those all together with black tights and black long sleeve shirt underneath. Voila!  Thanks to the internet, one of three costumes and it cost me about $75 (with shipping). 

Not too shabby! 

Have a Fright-tastic fall!  I'll be waiting for my costume building blocks to arrive at the post office!

No comments:

Post a Comment